Monday, May 23, 2011

Philip Asay Wasden

Philip Asay Wasden
Philip Asay Wasden, eldest son of James Orvil and Mae Asay Wasden.  This site is for our ancestors, but when wonderful things happen, we just have to celebrate them!  My brother Phil left this morning for Washington D.C.  He will be participating in a Concert this Memorial Day, and was chosen to be one of four vetrans who will place a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  What a wonderful honor.  Following is a message sent from Phil regarding this event:

"Among the patriotic and rousing numbers we will perform in our Armed Forces Concert this evening, is the thoughtful piece entitled, "Who Are The Brave?" The answer to the question is a powerful rejoinder, “Those who serve mankind!” My thoughts regarding this song are as though there is a “looped” playback of the words in my psyche. In other words, I cannot get them out of my mind. I think of the many Patriots of this country—known and unknown, in times of war and peace, civilian and military; there are many “hero’s.” Are the United States leaders and their decisions perfect? Of course not! They have often blundered putting others in “harm’s way.” Like Tennyson’s account of the Battle of Balaclava, those icons of courage and achievement were the ones carrying out the orders of their superiors. The debates of war will continue long after the battles but they should never taint the pure sacrifice of those who “paid the ultimate price.”

“…Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismayed?
Not though the soldier knew
Some one had blundered:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred…”
n “The Charge of the Light Brigade” by Alfred, Lord Tennyson.


As we sing tonight, and again next week in the Washington, D.C. Concerts, my thoughts will be upon the many hero’s in my life. I will not embarrass some of the living by naming names however, you know who you are! I have been granted the ultimate honor of being one of the Veterans selected to present a wreath at The Tomb of The Unknown Soldier next Saturday. When I salute, I will salute all Patriot’s of all ages.

We are grateful to all who serve this great country, past, present and future.  Thank you for your service.

No comments:

Post a Comment